Tuesday 8 April 2014

Hyacinths have a lovely bouquet

Alannah and I planted eight Hyacinth bulbs in medium-sized black, plastic pots, last Sunday in the teaming rain. We had on gum-boots, and Alannah tried to protect herself with her Minnie-Mouse brolly. Quite a sight I suspect.

I am going for perfume this growing season, teaming Hyacinth with Dwarf Stock.

Going clockwise around the images, from top, left we have
  • Hyacinth Delft Blue - an aristocrat of the garden, this magnificent Hyacinth grows strongly and flowers in a beautiful porcelain blue with a perfect shape
  • Hyacinth L'Innocence - Producing pure, white flowers with strong perfume, they look at their best when planted in formal displays in the garden or in pots
  • Hyacinth Lady Derby - the blurb for this one is worse than the others!
  • Hyacinth Splendid Cornelia - Producing romantic lavendar flowers with strong perfume, they look at their best when planted in formal displays in the garden or in pots.
Blimey, what a waste of time those descriptions are! I will try to write my own for each variety of bulb as they progress through their growing season.

2 comments:

MargaretP said...

They do look so pretty, don't they ?
Many moons ago I grew some indoors, in Hyacinth jars, one was ok but a couple of different colours really smelled yuk, can't remember which one smelled ok, but ended up moving them out of the kitchen onto the patio, pity.....they looked so nice on the kitchen windowsill.
I think I put the bulbs in the crisper for a week or so to let them know it was time to start growing.

Julie said...

These will all be putside, Margaret. I have read about the crisper trick, but the packet did not mention it for Sydney, so just wacked them straight into the soil mix. Shall wait with bated breath ...