Thursday 14 November 2013

The secret life of the Rocky


See way down in there, that little yellow hairy thing? I think that is a just-hatched rockmelon. It is a bit more apparent in this second view. Same specimen. I hope to provide a running commentary, with images, on the life cycle of this delicious melon. What I think so far, and I am sooo new at this, is that there is a high flower to fruit ratio. Not sure if this is because some flowers are not fertile, or just a strangely high proportion of them are male. Whereas the Zucchini flower is easily distinguished, male from female due to the thickness of the flower stem, this does not appear to be the case with thr Rockmelon. The plant is nicely trailing down the pots and across the poebbles now. An issue for the future, I guess.

No comments: