Saturday 30 November 2013

Floral flush


My grandmother had Hydrangeas all down one side of her semi out in Blair Street Bondi. They are a very old-fashioned flower, dare I say, an out-of-fashion flower. However, Kirsten's father gave her a vase full, and she liked them. Mainly, she liked them because as a cut flower they lasted, with minimal degradation for well-nigh three weeks. So I bought some online. Well, I actually bought two examples each of seven varieties, pretty much across the colour spectrum. But each is a mophead.

I did not know that there are two distinct plants in the Hydranges macrophylla genus, a mophead, and a lacecap. I gather the mophead is the common (garden) variety. If I can preserve this lot of 14 plants from the possums down the back, I might invest in a couple of lacecaps in a season or two. At the moment, the back garden has an interesting floral flush during the cooler months. We start off in June-August with half a dozen camellias (all japonicas).Which reminds me, I must work towards eradicating the webbing spiders on the camellias. Then, we swing into mix of orange and creme Cliveas during August, and September, and then a try at Agapanthus, which is not working due to poor conditions and lack of attention. A splash from a row of Hydrangeas will take the back garden all the way through Christmas.

The hydrangea came as 'tubestock', so called, I guess, because they come in ... tubes. Duh! Anyway, damned useful devices are these tubes. I currently have three January tomatoes getting their act together in them, and I intend to strike cauliflower and broccoli seeds in them at the end of December. But I digress ...

To all the floral flush discussed above, add the alternating of 'crystal palace' Lobelia with mixed marigolds, in the semi-circular garden atop the rockery, and I have a PLAN!

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Read up on fertilising the hydrangeas, Julie. As I remember from Mum's gardens the acidity and/or alkalinity of the soil can change the colours from pink through purple to blue. I can't remember which is which (mind, going I'm afraid).

Julie said...

Indeed, that is the case, Rosemary. And I have two such mopheads. However, nowadays, there are many colours that do not alter in this way, but have been bred to retain their colour, as the white version always has. Traditionally it has been lime for pink and aluminium sulphate for a range of blues.