Saturday 1 June 2013

Value added, rather than value for money

Kirsten rarely goes trolley shopping, or even grocery shopping. Instead of trolley shopping, she orders approximately every six weeks from Coles Online. It is delivered the next day, and delivery is currently something like $13. Instead of grocery shopping, she receives a twice-weekly delivery from Aussie Farmers, and a fortnightly delivery from Sydney Fresh.

At the moment, we receive the $50 family box from Sydney Fresh, and when it arrives Alannah and I unpack it, and I put it all away. By then said child is too busy eating! The apple she is eating is a 'Pink Lady', with a 'Granny Smith' lined up for next. When I went to 'repackage' the celery, it occurred to me that she would have no idea where a celery came from. So out we went for an impromptu lesson.

From Aussie Farmers we receive milk, eggs, butter, cheese, a fresh chicken or salmon, perhaps some bagels. These arrive by 6:30am each Friday, and are placed in an esky on our front porch. Good quality, good service.

But this is what our garden is trying to replace. This level of quality product, and this level of availability. A big ask. Keeping up the quantity AND the quality throughout the year, reducing the outlay on purchased fruit and vegetables, and providing justification for the exorbitant cost of the veggie patch. Lucky I can rationalise this veggie patch. Like the activity for me, both physical and mental. But also, the involvement and understanding of the food cycle for Alannah. And getting to know the neighbours, and swapping tomatoes for fresh eggs.

2 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Right now we have huge garden but before I got my veggies and fruit--eggs if I wanted or breads--from a local CSA--which is a farm in my area. Yummy local and organic foods. It is really a fun and nutritious way to go.
MB

head in the sun said...

Yeah - there are lots of great benefits from having a vegie patch - I think fresh vegies is about No.6 on the list!