Thursday 4 April 2013

Bird's eye view

Facing north, with east on the right

It wasn't until I outlined the lawn that would remain with Hansel-pebbles, that I had any confidence that I was heading in an okay direction.

By this stage, I had removed the original line of sandstone rocks that indicated the end of grass, beginning of garden, moved eight Gardenia plants to the rear garden, and sawed down a Camellia Japonica.

But it is that line of white pebbles that sealed the design. It leaves a front lawn, just perfect in shape and size: it can accommodate chairs for tippling adults, a cubby-house for rowdy youngsters, still with space for cartwheels, and musical performances. What more could one ask of a front garden? Why on earth leave a front garden for 'show' when all this is possible?

And over there, in the NE corner of the block, is sufficient space for a slew of raised veggie beds, including fruit trees, and a rain-water tank.

Come along with us, as we develop an ordinary suburban block into a green-grocer's delight.
The perspective comes from the windows of the family room on the second floor

2 comments:

head in the sun said...

Woo-Hoo - can't wait to see the fruits of your labours.
I see you have a lovely wisteria - that will be handy for bringing all the bees.
And you MUST plant a loquat tree.
It's my favourite tree of all the ones I've planted in Ararat (takes about 5 years to fruit though).

Julie said...

umm ... we think that Wisteria is for the high jump, Letty. I will do a post on it and you can tell me what you think of our ideas.

I had not thought of a loquat tree. Have lime and fig and olive. And somehow want to manage a passionfruit vine ...